I love this image. It's a genuine original. I cooked it up almost entirely on the phone, basically through intuitive play. I felt like I had invented a really good recipe. It started as a crack in a wall down the street from me.
This is basically what I started with - I may have played a little with the contrast and brightness first, but as you can see, it's just a crack in lightly-textured plaster. The texture was pretty important to this image too.
I ran the image through TinyPlanets. I'm already pleased!
Then I put it through ShockMyPic, to give it a little more definition.
Now, I need to introduce some colour to the image. There's several apps that you can do that with. 100 Cameras is one I like to experiment with occasionally. I didn't note which of the dozens of pre-set treatments I used.
It's getting interesting now.
There doesn't seem any reason to do the next step, it was just what I did when I created image. I put it through TangledFX. Again, I didn't note what setting I used.
I now felt that the circle needed to be broken. I used Repix for this. The "Daubs" stylus was used to selectively blot out areas on the crack circle. That sounds like a drug ring.
The dear, departed Laminar was used next. It had several features that were useful for deepening tones.
Sometimes, the pre-sets in Phototoaster are a waste of time. It depends on the image I'm using. Whichever pre-set I used (didn't record it) I got a pleasing, dramatic finish.
Some months ago, I bought a cheap cradle for the phone, stuck it on the windscreen and fired off a series of shots as I drove up the freeway to band practice one rainy evening. I have a cable release (also cheap) which doesn't work on every camera app, but it does work on SlowShutter. I set the shutter speed to 'B' and just held the shutter open. In this case, for 14 seconds.
This is what I got. I thought I might get something a little more interesting if I could crank up the contrast and the colours. And improve the definition. Well, I would have to, as this is pretty dull.
So, I tried maxing out the ambience in Snapseed, which sent the image in the direction for me.
I cropped the image in Snapseed too, to the 16:9 ratio, to give the image a more wide-screen feel. Then I used TangledFX to enhance the contrast and definition. I think I started with the "Small Details" button, but I also played with settings in "Tune", reducing the scale effect factor right down, so it wasn't so obvious that the image had been 'tangled'.
Next, into touchRetouch to remove some imperfections caused by the windscreen. There were several, although the only one visible here is a dark mark in the bottom right hand corner.
By now, my image has a vaguely painterly nature, so I decided to enhance that by adding a texture from Photocopier. I chose "Velazquez".
Then to finish, I increased the saturation a little in Snapseed and added a vignette with the "Center Focus" button. It's no world champ, but I liked where I was able to take the image. It looks better big, just like rock 'n' roll sounds better up loud.
Science | Football | Rock 'n' roll | Photography. Only doing one of those here.