I'm waiting for a tram on St. Kilda Road in Melbourne in July 2013 and notice this rather splendid reflection, which I shot with the 6X6 app.
The image is converted to b&w using Snapseed. I used the 'Contrast' preset. I don't quite know why I chose this direction, as the original had some nice colours in it. Sometimes, you just do things.
Into Phototoaster next. I used the 'Clarify' preset, but again I'm not really sure why. Just following my nose.
Then, I decided to bring some colour back into the image. From the 'BwFx' menu in Iris, I chose 'Golden'...
...and I added a vignette, also with Iris.
Here's how this image was edited.
The original image was shot with the iPhone native camera. I got down low to shoot, lending an 'early morning' feel to the image.
I do my cropping and other basic adjustments in Snapseed. I don't know that I did much else than crop the image. I also don't know why by this stage I had an image size that was less than my ideal 2000x2000. Anyway, the next stage was a re-size in Filterstorm to those dimensions.
Then, I used Phototoaster to get a little detail back in the leaves. Tuneup was the preset that I used. Like that one a lot, although as I get better with Snapseed, I am returning to Phototoaster less frequently now.
Back in July 2013, when this image was shot and processed, I was using Iris a lot. This next step was done using the 'fluorescent' option in Auto-adjust.
Finally, the image was imported into DistressedFX, where I used the 'Charm' effect.
I love this image. It's a genuine original. I cooked it up almost entirely on the phone, basically through intuitive play. I felt like I had invented a really good recipe. It started as a crack in a wall down the street from me.
This is basically what I started with - I may have played a little with the contrast and brightness first, but as you can see, it's just a crack in lightly-textured plaster. The texture was pretty important to this image too.
I ran the image through TinyPlanets. I'm already pleased!
Then I put it through ShockMyPic, to give it a little more definition.
Now, I need to introduce some colour to the image. There's several apps that you can do that with. 100 Cameras is one I like to experiment with occasionally. I didn't note which of the dozens of pre-set treatments I used.
It's getting interesting now.
There doesn't seem any reason to do the next step, it was just what I did when I created image. I put it through TangledFX. Again, I didn't note what setting I used.
I now felt that the circle needed to be broken. I used Repix for this. The "Daubs" stylus was used to selectively blot out areas on the crack circle. That sounds like a drug ring.
The dear, departed Laminar was used next. It had several features that were useful for deepening tones.
Sometimes, the pre-sets in Phototoaster are a waste of time. It depends on the image I'm using. Whichever pre-set I used (didn't record it) I got a pleasing, dramatic finish.
Science | Football | Rock 'n' roll | Photography. Only doing one of those here.